DIRECTOR OF LIVING WATER
Reports to: Heads of Staff/Pastor and Worship, HR Effective: January 2023
Status: Part Time
Faith is at the center of Limestone Presbyterian Church’s (LPC) mission and ministry. LPC’s Living Water director will support the church’s mission and ministry through the modern worship music typically played at our modern service. This service is offered weekly at 9:00 am from September through May and monthly June through August but is subject to change. In addition, several joint services will be offered during the year that will include both Living Water and our Traditional Choir.
The Living Water director must be available for special services during the church year, including the Christmas concert, Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday worship services, and other occasional services as stipulated by the Pastor, Worship committee, and/or Session, with ample notice and time to plan.
The Living Water Director is accountable to the Pastor, who is Head of Staff, as well as the Worship Committee. The director will meet regularly with the pastor to discuss special needs and musical direction for the church year, including, but are not limited to, plans for coordinating music with texts, church seasons, and themes. When appropriate, the Living Water director will collaborate with the Choral Director of the traditional service, and the Handbell Director, seeking to expand the music opportunities.
- Manage and direct all functions of Living Water and provide instrumental accompaniment as needed.
- Select appropriate music, provide musical leadership and accompany (piano, guitar, keyboard, etc.) Living Water for rehearsal and church services. Teach the Living Water selections so that the music performed is uplifting, faithful, accurate, and conveys proper musical expression.
- Coordinate music, space, and rehearsal time with bells and youth ensemble directors.
- Maintain a contemporary music library by filing and sharing all music etc. in an orderly fashion. Purchase new music and keep the library current.
- Proactively recruit and enlist new vocalists and instrumentalists for Living Water.
- Inform the members, the pastors, and the office, of music selections in a timely fashion.
- Provide leadership for occasional special services and concerts.
- Communicate regularly (via e-mail, phone calls, etc.) with members and office staff as needed.
- Meet regularly with Pastor for direction and guidance.
- Consider participating in a Continuing Education program selected, with input from the Pastor and the HR Committee, to help learn specific skills and enhance overall growth and development (funding will depend on budget).
- Encourage and facilitate participation of members in workshops and other continuing education opportunities as appropriate.
- Candidate must be an accomplished musician with instrumental, choral, and directing skills. A degree in music is desirable, though not required.
- Candidate must love music and enjoy teaching and sharing her/his skills and knowledge with others.
- Candidate will be of the Christian faith and able to communicate her/his faith to others.
- Candidate must be personable, outgoing, and have the ability to relate well to people of all ages, and have a desire to see them enjoy and learn music.
- Candidate should possess strong leadership, organization and communication skills.
- Candidate should exhibit a willingness to expand personal knowledge, skills and capabilities by participating in continuing education opportunities.
- Ability to travel as needed and to move freely in and out of different group settings and locations.
- Ability to perform the tasks inherent to directing, rehearsing, and accompanying as stipulated in the ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS section.
- Music Knowledge and Abilities demonstrates musical knowledge, training, and experience (instrumental, choral, direction, reading and interpretation, etc.) to confidently accompany ensembles, provide church service accompaniment, inspire and teach others, direct choirs, recruit other musicians, and be the music focus and spokesperson for LPC.
- Interpersonal Skills: demonstrates the ability to recruit, lead, and inspire others. Exhibits active listening skills and accepts constructive suggestions.
- Engages people positively in team/group situations with optimism to solve problems and share best practices.
- Enthusiasm: exhibits an upbeat attitude and a genuine love for LPC, for music, and for people.
- Organization: demonstrates skills to plan and execute programs, define timelines, and communicate needs for meetings, rehearsals, and activities to meet defined objectives.
- Initiative: identifies and anticipates the needs of upcoming objectives, and takes the steps to accomplish the required tasks to make the music program a success. Pursues new ideas and activities based on the interests of the participants and the opportunities presented.
- Communication: exhibits an ability to involve everyone, to listen well, and to ensure everyone involved knows what is expected, and when.
- Spiritual Maturity: communicates her/his faith well to others in the context of the music ministry of LPC.
- Multi-Tasking: demonstrates the ability to efficiently manage multiple tasks and responsibilities and establishes processes and procedures to ensure objectives and priorities are met.
Background check is required prior to hiring.
Agreement with Limestone’s Child Protection Policy is required.
Must demonstrate completion of Darkness to Light child abuse training or participate in such training upon employment.