Knowing Newark: Year of the Ox
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2021 AT 7:00 P.M.
The Chinese New Year of the Ox is just around the corner. What does this new year mean, and how do the Chinese traditionally celebrate it? In this lecture, guest speaker Dr. Jianguo Chen from the University of Delaware will discuss the history and culture of the Chinese New Year by covering the following aspects of the Chinese holiday season:
- What is the Chinese New Year–when does it officially occur?
- How do Chinese families traditionally celebrate this holiday?
- What foods are traditionally eaten?
- What other activities are undertaken to celebrate the holiday?
- Are there favorite sayings or well-wishes?
- What is the Lantern Festival like?
- What is the significance of the Year of the Ox?